Friday, November 19, 2010

Ipso Facto OpEd: Gamers can be normal too

Disclaimer: Ipso Facto editorials represent the views of the author, and do not represent the views of the Ipso Facto editorial board, CJAM 99.1 FM, the University of Windsor, or the University of Windsor Faculty of Law.  

I am a 25 year old adult male who still plays video games.  I have played video games as far back as I can remember.  My parents used to purchase video games for my brothers and me at Christmas, at our birthdays and other special occasions.  Yet looking back over my video game collection I noticed that I never had any games that were rated M for Mature (17 years of age and above) when I was young.  Once I was over 17 I was able to purchase these types of games for myself.  So I was never given games that were outside of my age limit (with the exception of a few games rated T for Teen (13 or older) when I was below the age of 13).  My parents exercised their ability to monitor the games that I was able to play, without the need of government intervention.

Although Ontario does have a prohibition on the sale of mature rated video games to anyone under the age of 18; it is simply an enforcement by the province of the voluntary Electronic Software Ratings Board ratings.  In the US the law will have the government doing the ratings, making it a complete government regulated body that will prohibit the sale of “deviant” violent video games to minors. 

It is easy to see how this debate is such a hot button political issue. As Tudor Carsten said on the air Wednesday morning on Ipso Facto it is easy to score political points when you say you want to keep violent video games out of the hands of the children.   If one was to make a statement that he or she doesn’t mind allowing 12 year olds buying a brutally violent game they will be massacred on the news.  They will most likely be voted out in the next election when their opponent plays that clip over and over in an attack ad campaign.  It is a vicious cycle that allows laws like this to move through the system.

I feel that I have developed into a normal, everyday sane human being despite my exposure to violent video games.   Video games were a great escape, like a good book or movie, but I had control over what was going to happen.   Even now I have several games on my wish list that involve war, or assassins.  All of the friends that grew up around me played the same kinds of games.  They all turned out to be normal, everyday sane human beings as well.  

It is my opinion that the law should not be used to push around such hot button political issues, but instead should focus on the more important aspects of society.  They said similar things about the effects of movies and rap music, but neither of those forms of media have brought about the cataclysmic events that were foretold.  The legal system of the United States should have better things to do than discuss whether a 15 year old can buy a copy of the newest M rated video game. 

(As an aside, I do find it very comical that the case is Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California v Entertainment Merchants Association since Arnold is one of the most prolific violent action heroes in movie history)

Michael Spagnolo is a member of the Ipso Facto editorial board.

No comments:

Post a Comment